The driving goal of my science is to better connect sedimentary dynamics with the rock record. To this end, I perform research examining ancient strata exposed in the field, active sedimentary systems, the surface of Mars with remote sensing data, and Earth’s subsurface with 3D seismic volumes. I value quantitative approaches, collaboration with diverse expertise, and getting my hands dirty and making measurements.
Please get in touch if you would like a copy of any paper listed here.
6. Mason, J., Cardenas, B.T., Day, M.D., et al., Subaqueous dune field pattern evolution and interactions
5. Cardenas, B.T., Mohrig, D., Goudge, T.A., Hughes, C.M., Levy, J.S., Swanson, T., Mason, J., and Zhao, F., Anatomy of an exhumed river channel belt.
4. *Zhao, F., Cardenas, B.T., and Kim, W. Aeolian grainflows: from surface process to subsurface record.
3. Cardenas, B.T., Goudge, T.A., Mohrig, D., and Swanson, T., Earth analog considerations for the remote sensing of fluvial and aeolian strata on Mars.
2. Cardenas, B.T., Mohrig, D., Swartz, J.M., and Prokocki, E.W., Setting up the preservation of fluvial channel belts.
1. Cardenas, B.T., Smith, B.P., et al. Surface cement control on carbonate grainstone geometry.
2. Swanson, T., Mohrig, D., Kocurek, G., Cardenas, B.T., Wolinsky, M.A. (accepted) Preservation of autogenic processes and allogenic forcings within set-scale aeolian architecture I: numerical experiments: Journal of Sedimentary Research.
1. Cardenas, B.T., Kocurek, G., Mohrig, D., Swanson, T., Hughes, C.M., and Brothers, S.C. (accepted), Preservation of autogenic processes and allogenic forcings within set-scale aeolian architecture II: the scour-fill dominated Jurassic Page Sandstone, Arizona, USA.: Journal of Sedimentary Research.
4. Kocurek, G., Martindale, R.C., Day, M.D., Goudge, T.A., Kerans, C., Hassenruck-Gudipati, H.J., Mason, J., Cardenas, B.T., Petersen, E.I., Mohrig, D., Aylward, D.S., Hughes, C.M., and Nazworth, C.M. (2019) Antecedent aeolian dune topographic control on carbonate and evaporate facies: Jurassic Todilto Member, Wanakah Formation, Ghost Ranch, New Mexico, USA. Sedimentology, v. 66, p. 808-837.
3. *Hughes, C.M., Cardenas, B.T., Goudge, T.A., and Mohrig, D. (2019) Deltaic Deposits Indicative of a Paleo-Coastline at Aeolis Dorsa, Mars. Icarus, v. 317, p. 442-453.
2. Goudge, T.A., Mohrig, D., Cardenas, B.T., Hughes, C.M., and Fassett, C.I. (2018) Stratigraphy and Paleohydrology of Delta Channel Deposits, Jezero Crater, Mars. Icarus, v. 301, p. 58-75.
1. Cardenas, B.T., Mohrig, D., and Goudge, T.A. (2018), Fluvial stratigraphy of valley fills at Aeolis Dorsa, Mars: Evidence for base-level fluctuations controlled by a downstream water body. GSA Bulletin, v. 130, p. 484-498.
1. Cardenas, B.T., Evidence for coastline-controlled changes in base level from fluvial stratigraphy at Aeolis Dorsa, Mars. MS Thesis, UT-Austin, 2014.